About Us

History of College

A.P Sen Memorial Girls College was established in the year 1902 under the name Mahakali Pathshala. It was given recognition under the name ‘Harimati Balika Vidyalay’. The aim of the college was to provide education to Bengalis in their own language. In 1933 it received temporary recognition for High School and intermediate from U.P Board. It was at this time it acquired the name ‘Jubilee-girls School’. The girls institution has been fortunate to have received the patronage of such eminent Personalities as L.M Jopling (city magistrate) and M.F.A Richardson (inspector of schools). In 1944, the school received permanent recognition for High school. It advanced to an Inter college in 1947, and to a Degree College in 1955. Since the time the college has been affiliated to the Lucknow University, it has been contributing to the education of girls. It was with the initiative of the first principal, late (Miss) Beena Dutta, that the college advanced from a primary school to a renowned degree college of the city. She is remembered even today for her love of discipline for her colleagues as well as her students. Right from the beginning, the Management Committee of the college had had members who are renowned not only in the city but throughout the world, such as Dr. Radha Kumud Mukherjee, Shri A.C Banerjee, Dr. Radha Kamal Mukherjee, Dr. Avinash Chandra Chatterjee etc. various progressive citizens of lucknow have contributed to the development of the college through financial assistance. Among the well wishes of the college, the name that stands out is that of an eminent advocate and educationist of the city - the great poet, Late Shri Atul Prashad Sen. In order to immortalize his memory the college was renamed as A.P Sen Memorial Girls college. Shri A.P Sen was a great Philanthropist, social worker, educationist and litterateur. He was also a great poet who composed 263 ‘geet’ and made his way in to the world of Bengali ‘Kabya Sangeet’. It was to his credit that he made a successful combination of Bengali lyric and the famous ‘Thumari’ of Lucknow. He was also friend of a common man,whose door was always open for the needy and the poor. Most of the educational institution used to receive financial assistance from him.



Located in charbagh, the college has the campus area of 2.45 Acres. The built up area is 3860 square meter. A well equipped library with a seating capacity of 80 students is housed in 2820 square feet. textbooks and reference books are present in the library. The college has 5 computers and internet facility. Apart from 15 class rooms (at present) there is facility of teachers staff room, common room for students, rest rooms, vehicle parking, canteen, telephone, first aid, and items of necessity like refrigerator, T.V, coolers, generator etc. a photocopier, an overhead projector and a museum of the department of A.I.H containing coins and statues adorn the college. Apart from these physical facilities, the college has various committees compromising of 3-4 teachers each dealing with various aspects for the development of the institution. Some of them include Internal Quality Assurance Cell, Grievance Redressal Cell. Aids Awareness Cell, Career Counseling Cell, Alumni Association, Parents-Teachers Association, Students Government Association, Academic Auditor . Four units of NSS and one unit of NCC are active in the college.